Saturday 19 April 2008

The Attack of the Gastropods



Well yesterday, we went outside to play. In our backyard there is a large spot of land that was recently barren, but it is turning green with weeds and baby treesprouts. The kids and I planted some sunflowers, beans, and pumpkin on that spot of land. We check it everyday, and it gets stepped on more everyday. But today was different. Usually there are no living snails in the area, just tiny dead ones. I got to tell you I was freaked out. These large mammoth sized snails are freaky. They carry encephalitis. You know I don't want my kids touching them. So I told Jr to stay away, and I ran and got the salt. Jr helped me find them so I could properly cover them. There were like twenty of them. Zach touched one, so I quickly took care of that. Then he got his hoe and took care of them. Later when Michael Sr. came home I told him that the snails were moving closer to our house. So, he went and tossed them back in the forest. He said as he tossed them they squealed. This was pretty scary for me. Sr has gotten all the weird shots, but we haven't. I'm glad I haven't seen a habu yet.

Anyways, today we went to an Earth Day Fair. The boys had a lot of fun on the bouncy houses. There was a lot of recycled items there. So free stuff. We got recycled rulers, balloons, pens, pencils, and golf tees. They even showed how they make fuel out of oil, biodiesel. Anyways, remember to recycle.

3 comments:

John Monteith said...

Okay, I'm gonna need pictures or video, STAT. Also, Heidi wants to know what a "habu" is.

Audio recording of the squeal will be considered a bonus.

Your lives are more exciting than ours. You win.

Heidi said...

All I can say is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW!

drb42 said...

I can't beleive you have been married for nine years. I am glad you have a blog. Did you check out my lovely blog?